Saturday, December 20, 2008

"Don't Mention My Name"

This past semester, I had a wonderful opportunity with my friend Kathy to co-direct (and costume design, prop design, etc. ) a high school show for the charter school my siblings belong to. The production was "Don't Mention my Name," by Fred Carmichael. It is a comedy/mystery about a fellow who shows up at a hideously furnished bed and breakfast, not knowing who he is, or why he is there. All the other characters have different names and identities for him, and the plot leads everyone on a merry round of confusion.



Our cast was so dedicated and enthusiastic. I have never met such a sweet and talented group of high schoolers. We had no offstage drama between the cast members! Matthew designed and built the set. It was so impressive, and I am so grateful, and so proud of him. The school (Principle, teachers, staff members) were so supportive and nice to work with. I think they enjoyed watching their school be "magically" altered into an entirely different world. Also, a local (haunted!) bed and breakfast lent us the furniture and props. Jason, Kathy's husband, took all these beautiful pictures.






Altogether, this was an amazing experience. I admit there were moments when I was worried about logistics, but everything came together in the end with beautiful results. The list of things I've learned from this project seems infinite. I feel more sure than ever that my vocation lies in the world of educational theatre.

Thank You to everyone involved. I LOVE YOU!



The Cast and Crew


"Dexter Chandler, you DID make reservations?"


"A new color my accountant gave me--book keeper red!"

"He could hurt his back...pushing up like that."

"We're sardin-ees"

Bart and Spike, our devoted techies

Notes at the final dress
~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 comments:

Clare said...

My dear Miss Anne, it was delightful to catch a glimpse of the production. As always, I regret that I couldn't be there in person to attend the performance! I'm looking forward to our family reunion, though... give my love to all!

Mackenzie said...

Oh how thrilling! The pictures are so fun, I'm sure it was fantastic! I hope to see more blogging soon dear, I miss our correspondence!!
Much love,
Tilly
ps) your mama gave me your e-mail, my new one is quiverfullmama@gmail.com