Friday, June 6, 2008

Still Playing Dress-up

School ended two weeks ago....... my joy and relief is scarcely to be described. As the turmoil and stress of finals subsided I was seized with a new energy. It was almost terrifying! The need to exercise my creativity, to make something, to sew, seemed to dominant all my thoughts. I found a pattern that I was saving for the far off day when I became an accomplished seamstress, four yards of fabric that just begged to be sewn, and started cutting at a feverish rate. Then, after I got home each day (from my one summer class) I would spend the afternoon sewing. It was a challenging pattern for someone who has only sewn simple skirts, but I learned a great deal, and I had the help of a dear and experienced friend, who I called every time the instructions on the pattern seemed like gibberish.

The result was a dream come true.


After years of reading and rereading everything by Jane Austen, or similar to Jane Austen, and watching all the historical and literature-based movies I could get my hands on, and enviously looking at pictures on sewing websites of stranger's regency dresses, I finally have my own regency dress.


I do feel rather silly about posting so many pictures of myself, but then, the dress is so pretty, and Matthew (my personal photographer!) did such a lovely job with the photo angles that I couldn't decide which ones to leave out.


Sarah is a magician with hair, and she kindly swept it up into a proper regency style...

It's a book of poetry, of course...




Finally, a sunset view of the mountain...such splendor..........

It is probably unnecessary to mention that I shall always love to play dress up...
I wonder what era shall come next...

3 comments:

JEN said...

WOW! You look beautiful and did an amazing job on your dress! I'm very proud of you!

Congrats on finishing up another semester! What one class are you taking this summer. Something light like, English 389 Disection of Great Lit???? =)

Hope to talk to you soon on the phone! I never get a hold of anyone anymore!
Lots of love!
Aunt JEN

Mackenzie said...

Oh Anne you look beautiful! What a lovely new dress. :) I love your blog name!
Much love,
Tilly

Clare said...

As I told you over the 'phone... so, so very beautiful! I'm going to have to pull out that pattern again now that you've inspired me so!

---Clare